Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters

Vicky Bliss is a history professor. She is 6 feet, blond and filled out in all the right places. This makes it hard for her to be taking seriously. When she stumbles upon a book her boyfriend Tony is writing a review about, she discovers that the book might hold clues to a lost German artifact, a jeweled reliquary.

During a school break, Vicky journeys to Germany and stays in the medieval castle of the maker of the reliquary. The castle is run by his heirs, an unfriendly older woman and her shy but beautiful niece. Tony shows up and challenges Vicky to a contest. If he finds the item first then Vicky has to marry him and if Vicky does, she can do what she likes. What they didn't expect was other people looking for the item. Or the murder attempts. Or the secret passages. Or the fact that they would really find the reliquary.

I am a big fan of Elizabeth Peters and her Amelia Peabody series, so I decided to give her Vicky Bliss series a try. I like it. I have only read the first book but I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the rest.

1 comment:

Kara - Reference & Reader Services said...

I like the contest her boyfriend has set-up. I am dying to know who finds it first!