Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Shortly after going through a painful divorce, journalist and travel essayist Elizabeth Gilbert decides to travel for one year in an attempt to discover happiness. Gilbert travels to three countries: Italy, where she eats, India, where she prays, and Bali, where she learns to love again.

In Rome, Gilbert indulges on everything from margherita pizza to octopus salad, from bread drenched in oil to tiramisu, and describes these foods so vividly that readers will be salivating when reading each description. In India, Gilbert lives in an Ashram where she learns the importance of meditation to cleanse in her soul. It is here where Gilbert seems to finally be able to let go of what was weighing her down. In Bali, Gilbert returns to the medicine man who predicted she would live with him to teach him English. She meets a new friend and embarks on a romantic relationship with a Brazilian businessman.

After Gilbert appeared on Oprah, there was so much hype built around her memoir. Women would carry Eat, Pray, Love around like it was their bible and comment on how much Gilbert's experience changed their own lives.

Honestly, I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed in this book. I am in no place to judge Gilbert, as I have never been through a divorce, but I found her to be very needy in her relationships with men. It was her decision to leave her husband, so I had a hard time pitying her and perceived her to be selfish. If you read and enjoyed this book, please post a comment. I would really like to understand what everyone else saw in this story that I have seemed to have missed.

1 comment:

Citizen Reader said...

Amen! I couldn't agree more that I was rather disappointed in what started Gilbert on her journey, and how she finished it. Great review!