Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lulu in Marrakech by Diane Johnson

American spy, Lulu Sawyer, has the perfect cover for her lastest assignment: Morocco is where a recent former flame, wealthy Brit, Ian Drummond lives. Lulu can keep tabs on the elite French and British expatriots who might be money laundering for radical Islamic groups while lounging poolside at Ian's stunning Morrocan villa.

Lulu soon finds herself embroiled in the clash between Western culture and strict Islamic rules, particularly in regards to women. Double standards and double agents provide great intrigue and soon things turn tragic for Lulu.

I was initially drawn to the beautiful cover art and the title of this book as Lulu is my nickname, and the exotic locale piqued my interest. While I found the author's language a bit odd for an American character and the storyline took some time to unfold, ultimately, the story kept my interest.

No comments: