Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

A killer octopus, really? Yep, Gretchen is such a hard act to follow from the previous books that in Chelsea Cain's new novel, The Night Season, she need's a new baddie that is out of the box!

Archie Sheridan seems to have gotten his life on track, finally. He is off of the pain killers, not thinking about serial killer Gretchen Lowell , exchanging banter with journalist Susan Ward and back to work during a huge rainstorm in Seattle that is causing major floods. Several bodies are found in the water that seems to be from drowning, but after finding the same small marks on each victim are determined to be murder. Thus begins the race to find the killer before someone else is killed. Add in a kidnapped child, a killer octopus and a back story from 40 some years before and you have an excellent thriller.

I didn't miss Gretchen as much as I thought I would. I couldn't put this book down. Chelsea Cain is excellent at building up suspense and fear for her characters. I also love how well she evoked the rain and flooding. I was surprised to find out it wasn't raining outside my window while reading this!! I was glad to see Archie get his act together in this installment. I did think the killer's motive was lame, but I enjoyed the book anyway.

No comments: