Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

This book follows the story of Pat Peoples, recently released from "the bad place," dedicated to the idea of bettering himself and single-mindedly focused on seeing the silver linings in life, which can be both hopeful and heart breaking for Pat as he navigates through life after
his "incident."

What I loved about this book was the honesty of it. You follow with Pat through every step, andhe's not an omniscient narrator who sees the particulars and hidden meanings in everythingaround him - his viewpoint is restricted by his own limitations, just like they would be in reallife. His inner monologue is at times disjointed, or even a bit manic, but I found it refreshingly honest. His character almost reminded me a bit of Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye.

The characters Matthew Quick creates are real - they are quirky and troubled and imperfect. If you are looking for a book to be similar to the movie, you'll find that's not the case (although I'd highly recommend the movie as well). But the book I found was one I could not put down, and a hopeful but not "storybook" ending.

No comments: